WHAT IS STRIP STEAK?
A strip steak is cut from the short loin of the cow. This muscle doesn’t do too much work and is typically quite tender. It’s not quite as tender as the nearby tenderloin, but it’s still a great option for a nice, typically boneless steak that cooks evenly and quickly with a great beef flavor and nice chew. Strip steaks are best when they are well-marbled with nice, white fat weaving through the muscle of the steak.
NY STRIP STEAK
This recipe for cooking NY strip steak is inspired by Tyler Florence’s steakhouse. He seasons massive porterhouse steaks with only salt before searing at extremely high temperatures and then sprinkling with cracked black pepper after cooking. I took similar principles and adapted them for home cooking (because we don’t all have access to $5000 professional salamander machines in our backyards!), so you can cook your own perfect NY strip steak at home.
When the process is this simple, you need to make sure your ingredients are high quality. Use a bright red steak that is at least 1.5 inches thick. Season with coarse kosher salt or sea salt. Fresh crack your black pepper, if possible. When you focus on meat, fire, and simple seasoning, you’ll be happier with the result than if you had purchased an expensive steak from a restaurant.
HOW TO COOK NEW YORK STRIP STEAK
You can always use the Reverse Sear method for New York strip steaks, but that process takes quite a bit of time and effort. Sometimes the best things in life are simple and allow the flavor of the beef itself to shine through. I think the best way to cook a NY strip steak is with salt, pepper, a little butter, and a screaming hot grill.
Here’s my method for cooking New York strip steak:
- Season the steak. When you are 30 minutes out from grilling your steaks, remove them from the fridge, season both sides with kosher or coarse salt, and allow them to come up in temperature.
- Preheat your grill. Preheat your preferred grill to High heat, aiming for around 900 degrees F on the grates.
- Prep the butter. Combine all ingredients for the compound butter in a small bowl and spoon butter directly on the serving platter underneath where the steak will be placed.
- Grill those strip steaks! Place the steaks directly on the grill grates on a diagonal. For med rare: cook 2-3 minutes then rotate 45 degrees (for those beautiful criss-cross grill marks) and grill another 2-3 minutes. Flip the steaks and repeat on the other side. Grill for more or less time depending on your preferred doneness.
- Remove from heat and rest. Remove the steaks from the grill and place them on the buttered serving platter. Allow them to rest for 8-10 minutes.
- Slice and serve. Slice the steaks and sprinkle with black pepper just before serving.
Ready to ship in 1-2 business days
All orders placed before 2pm on weekdays will be fulfilled the following business day and delivered to your door. Any orders after 2pm will be delivered within 2 business days. Any orders placed Friday, Saturday and Sunday will be delivered the following Monday unless we already have everything in-stock. *NOTE* due to the amount of orders we are receiving, we are ONLY doing DELIVERY now as it is more efficient / safe for us. Delivery only within Sault Ste Marie city limits** If you are from out of town and would like to order please put in the order notes that you require pickup and give a date and time of your arrival. Please use the Contact Us page if you would like to see something added or have any special requests.
Please contact us if you have any issues with our items.
Full refund available upon request within limits of store terms and policies.